I had a major sweet tooth this past weekend and decided to whip up a batch of one of my favorite simple, yet delicious, treats. The addition of browned butter, sea salt and vanilla extract help take this basic recipe to the next level. Since I always have trouble cutting my rice krispie treats into those little neat squares, I opt for a muffin tin to make perfectly even portions.
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- 10oz bag of marshmallows
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) of unsalted butter
- 1 pinch of coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Grease cupcake tin and set aside.
- Brown the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Be sure to watch the pot carefully to make sure the butter doesn’t burn. You’ll know it’s done when the butter turns clear and starts to smell nutty (read: delicious!).
- Turn heat down to low, and stir in the marshmallows, vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt until melted completely.
- Turn off the heat and stir in rice krispies.
- Scoop mixture evenly into muffin tin and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove treats from tin and enjoy!